Wednesday 19 August 2009

Dornish Eggs

Illness of varying degrees has been plaguing me this month. I am now on the mend though (I hope) and seriously craving protein.

I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire this month, partly because I love it and partly as I haven't had the energy to read something new. I really needed a series that was essentially an old friend this month.

So when I was reading before lunch today and came across Tyrion eating 'Dornish eggs' described as a "dish of onions, cheese, and chopped eggs cooked with fiery peppers," I thought mmnn yum! So I did my own version adding a bit of kale, some olives and scrambling rather than chopping the eggs.


Dornish Eggs:
serves 2

Ingredients:
4 medium free range eggs, beaten
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 green chili (add it to your taste, I made mine about medium spicy, but the book suggests they are rather spicy as Sansa burns her mouth)
1 red pointed pepper sliced
small handful grated mild cheddar
10 pimento stuffed olives chopped in half
handful of kale
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Method:
  1. Season the beaten eggs to taste with the salt and pepper and put to the side.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion, chili and pepper.
  3. Cook over a medium heat until onion becomes translucent.
  4. Start to heat the beaten eggs in a small pan over a medium heat stirring periodically to scramble.
  5. Add the olives and the kale to the frying pan (I like mine to still have quite a lot of bite, if you prefer yours softer then add earlier and cook longer)
  6. As the eggs are starting to take form add the cheese and mix well.
  7. Once the eggs are done add them to the frying pan and mix well.
Its great served with a dash of sweet chili sauce, some ham and salad, plus its delightfully quick and tasty.

Obviously all creative rights of A Song of Ice and Fire and its characters belong to George R.R. Martin

3 comments:

Andrea Freitas said...

This sounds... delicious!

Andrea Freitas said...

this...sounds... delicious!

StephanieC said...

http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/

I wanted to let you know about this food blog. He quite often posts gf foods, though not intentionally on his part. But because his recipes are pretty simple, fresh and healthy they are quite easily modified with a basic all purpose gf flour mix is there is any at all.
In particular look at the zucchini and feta quiche with a brown rice crust.